7.17.2005

Back Again


It has been two weeks since my last post so I am well overdue. This past week my wife and I were on vacation, a mini honeymoon and it was excellent. Anyway onto what the Lord has taught me in these past few days.

Mark 10:21
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

When the bible speaks of love, especially when used as a verb it means to seek to do one good. You could replace "I love you" with "I seek to do you good." Jesus looked at the rich young ruler and loved him. He sought to do him good and proceeded to tell him to sell everything. We know that the ruler left feeling upset and unhappy. How often do we desire the blessings of God only to be met with a "sell everything" response?

I know that when the Lord convicts me of sin I can confess it and repent, or I can put off confession and repentance, or and this is where most believers struggle, I can confess but fail to repent. Now when you go to prayer and there is a nagging sin that is constantly entering your consciousness that is the Lord "seeking to do you good" and telling you to sell everything. The one thing that you know you must confess and repent of is the one thing that is keeping you from that communion with God. Don't mess around, confess and repent. I have found myself in this situation the past few weeks and my sin is regarding finances and honesty and I could not commune with the Lord until I confessed to him, and just as importantly repented and came clean. At the moment of repentance the consequences of the sin (which often are realized after repentance) were insignificant in comparison to the renewed communion with the Lord. The believer's desire must be comfort with the Lord and not with the world. In my case I clung to a sin that left my life comfortable yet it gradually destroyed my relationship with the Lord. The longer I put off repentance the harder my heart became and in turn I committed more and more sin.

Is the Lord "seeking to do you good" by convicting you of something you need to change in your life? If so immediate response to Him is necessary. Prolonging the response leaves you with a heart that is hardened to the things of God.

No comments: